SOUND DEVICES UNVEILS ULTRA-COMPACT MIXPRE-10M MULTITRACK RECORDER FREEING MUSICIANS TO CREATE ANYTIME, ANYWHERE
First-of-its-kind, battery-powered 12-track recorder, mixer and USB audio interface simplifies music creation with built-in overdubbing, effects, and other musician-centric tools
New musician-inspired features will also be available for purchase as a plugin
for the MixPre-6 and MixPre-10T
REEDSBURG, WI, MARCH 7, 2018 — Sound Devices, LLC, the audio manufacturer whose products are trusted for award-winning productions including Game of Thrones and La La Land, introduces the MixPre-10M, a lightweight, ultra-portable multitrack audio recorder designed specifically for musicians and songwriters. The first-of-its-kind, the MixPre-10M is a 10-input/12-track recorder, mixer and USB audio interface that offers a suite of musician-focused features including overdub, remix, reverb, and metronome. Sound Devices will be showcasing the new MixPre-10M at SXSW in Austin, Texas from March 11-14 at the Austin Convention Center, booth #309.
Ideal for song creation and live performance, the user-friendly MixPre-10M acts as a high-performance portable studio for musicians to capture their songs and ideas anytime and anywhere inspiration grabs them. Incorporating the core functionality of a Digital Audio Workstation (DAW), the MixPre-10M is intentionally simplified to allow musicians to focus on creating songs without letting technology get in the way. The MixPre-10M is the newest member of the renowned MixPre Series (MixPre-3, MixPre-6 & MixPre-10T) of audio recorders, mixers, and USB audio interfaces.
“Sound Devices has a rich heritage of employees who are also musicians – so the MixPre-10M is truly a product designed by musicians for musicians,” says Matt Anderson, CEO of Sound Devices, LLC. “It’s an incredible device that simplifies songwriting and production to allow musicians to focus solely on creating and recording music the way it was before computers took over. With built-in overdub, metronome, and effects like premium-quality reverb and vocal air, the travel-size MixPre-10M gives musicians the ability to record 12 tracks anywhere inspiration hits – from a tour bus, backstage, to a hotel room or live performance.”
Some of the key features of the MixPre-10M include:
● Exceptional audio quality – featuring eight, ultra-low-noise Kashmir mic preamps handcrafted by Sound Devices. These preamps feature discrete, Class-A components with analog limiters offering musicians and songwriters the highest quality, distortion-free, musically-lush audio recordings.
● Musician’s toolkit – the MixPre-10M has the ability to simultaneously record, playback, mix, monitor, layer, and overdub up to 12 tracks, with the bounce feature helping to free up additional tracks. Other features include vintage reverb and vocal air effects, metronome, punch in and out, and the ability to locate to cue points.
● Mixer for live performance – offering 10 channels of mixing, the MixPre-10M is also ideal for small live performances or submixer duties. Use as a portable mixer to feed directly into a PA and adjust levels, or playback pre-prepared multi-channel backing tracks for solo performers.
● Easy file sharing – musicians can export their mix to an SD card, USB thumbdrive, or to a computer as a stereo WAV or AAC file, which is ideal for emailing or uploading to music sharing platforms such as SoundCloud.
● Anytime, anywhere powering – featuring a convenient detachable sled of eight AA batteries (Lithium or NiMH rechargeables recommended). The MixPre-10M can also be powered via a locking 4-pin connector for either external battery powering or AC-powering (with included AC adapter), or via an optional sled that offers powering from up to two hot-swappable Sony L-Mount Li-Ion batteries.
● Versatile I/O routing – offering eight balanced XLR/TRS combo Mic/Line level inputs (each with 96dB of gain, 48v phantom power, low cut filters and limiters), a 3.5mm 2-channel Aux/Mic input, and four USB inputs from a MAC or PC. The MixPre-10M’s two balanced outputs, two unbalanced outputs, and stereo HP output can be configured to provide multiple monitoring options.
● Made-for-the-road design – nearly the size of a tablet, the MixPre-10M weighs in at two pounds and measures an ultra-compact 1.375” x 8.125” x 6.875”. Like all Sound Devices products, the MixPre-10M is extremely durable. Constructed with a die-cast aluminum chassis, it is both lightweight and incredibly robust making it the ultimate road companion for musicians.
The MixPre-10M features an intuitive touch-screen interface, dedicated mixer knobs, and transport joystick that provide easy access to the tools a musician needs to quickly record vocal melodies, and instrumental hooks/rhythms. The MixPre-10M operates as a 12-in/4-out USB audio interface for a Mac or Windows computer at up to 96k sample rate.
The MixPre-10M works in two recording modes, Music project or Audio project. A Music project offers the music recording essentials, which recapture the spirit and simplicity of traditional music recording freeing the artist to focus on creativity instead of technology. An Audio project is ideal for recording any type of stereo or multi-channel audio and its Remix feature provides the ability to re-balance or fix a poorly recorded mix.
For existing MixPre-6 and MixPre-10T users, Sound Devices will soon be releasing a studio-grade Musician Plugin adding a new dimension of recording capabilities to the already versatile devices. For $99, the Musician Plugin will feature all the musician-inspired features, including overdub, remix, track laying, reverb, metronome and more.
The MixPre-10M will be sold for $1,499 at Sound Devices authorized audio resellers and distributors and expected to ship later this month.
Founded in 1998, Sound Devices creates premiere audio equipment for Hollywood’s award winning sound departments. The audio manufacturing pioneer, offers portable audio mixers, digital audio recorders and related equipment for feature film, episodic television, documentary, news gathering, live-event, musical and acoustical test and measurement applications. Sound Devices is headquartered in Reedsburg, Wisconsin with offices in Madison and Chicago. For more information, visit www.sounddevices.com.