List of Roles in a Sound Department
Here is a breakdown of all the roles you are likely to see on the credits of major feature length hollywood films and what they all actually mean:
Production Sound Department:
- Production Sound Mixer / Sound Mixer / - Mixes and records all the sound on location
- Boom Operator - Is in charge of placing microphones and controls the Microphone on the end of a boom pole
- Sound Utility / Maintenance - They are effectively the runner in the sound department and keep the department clean and stocked up.
Post Production Sound Department:
- Sound Designer - Conceptual Head of the soundtrack and often a creator of different elements such as Ben Burtt's Lightsaber sound.
- Sound Editor - Anyone who is editing the sound track in terms of track laying effects and other non specific edits
- Dialog Editor - Anyone editing the dialogue specifically to clean it up and edit it in
- Sound Effects Editor - Anyone who edits in Sound effects collected by sound crews
- Re-Recording Mixer - The people in charge of the final mix of the elements of Dialogue / effect / music etc...
- Foley Artist - Recreates everyday sounds for the characters and other elements on screen such as horses movements
- ADR recordist / Mixer / editor - Person responsible for clean ADR and mixing it into other production sound
- Sound recordist - More may be employed to collect sound effects for the edit and sound design